Sunday, October 27, 2013

Gateway Table Top Games: Small World


Premise

Small World is a fantasy board game in which you attempt to score the most victory points after a set amount of rounds.  Players get points by occupying a region.  Every region has a certain amount of units required in order to occupy it. Each player selects a random combination of a race and special power, which designates how many units of that race the player receives.  The points can be boosted by the special powers and abilities of each race.  Eventually your race becomes too spread out to survive and then you must go into decline and select another race.  This makes the game extremely interesting because even if you have a distinct advantage.

My Experience

This game was extremely easy to pick up and had easy to use reference cards to understand the abilities of each race.  I played with my two friends Doug and Andrew.  Doug, like me, was new to these types of board games and Andrew is an avid gamer.  Even though it was my and Doug's first time playing, we were able to get the game going pretty quickly and started developing our own strategies.  While all my strategies ended up being terrible, Doug was able to come out on top and beat me and Andrew.  I highly recommend Small World for anyone wanting to get into table top games or if you're just looking for a board game for you and your friends to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment